Follow Chef Robin to find the fresh foods of world...
and get a deeper sense of what fresh and local can mean for our health and our planet. I'm going back to my roots - to the Pilgrims on the Mayflower, and the American Indian. I'll take you "from compass to kitchen" on a food explorer's adventure! Chef Robin White is the Food Editor for the online lifestyle magazine, The Daily Basics.
Join us for a Virtual Kentucky Derby Party: May 3rd
Join us on Twitter with hashtag: #TalkDerbyToMe on May 3rd (5:30 to 7:30 PM Eastern ) for our Virtual Party to celebrate the 140th running of the Kentucky Derby. I can hardly wait. The food, the fashion, the decor that gets you in the mood. I've put together a menu that reeks of Southern charm AND you can do the entire thing ahead of time.
- Pimento Cheese Toasts
with Bacon Jam
- Deviled Eggs
- Derby Day “Greens” Salad with Sweet Potato, Country Ham and Roasted Apples and a Buttermilk Dressing
- Brisket with a Peach and Kentucky Bourbon Glaze
- Fresh Corn Pudding
- Champagne Juleps
Kentucky Derby Party Hashtag
5:30 to 7:30 PM Eastern Time
Who to follow on Kentucky Derby Day?
Kentucky Derby Pie
Derby-Pie® is served in many fine restaurants throughout Kentucky and the US. The history, heritage and quality of this legendary dessert make it a favorite for chefs.
Southern Buttermilk Dressing
I took the Mayo out of this to help make it more healthy without losing 1 ounce of ﬂavor.
- 2 scallions, white and some of the green cut thin
- 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of a great Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp of mayo, your favorite, this recipe usually uses 1/2 cup or more
- 1 fresh clove of garlic ﬁnely minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of buttermilk, I am using low fat, you use what you want.S and P to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh minced chives
Combine everything less the buttermilk in a bowl. Whisk in the buttermilk until dressing is smooth. S and P to taste again if needed. More menu ...
Chef Robin White: Exec Chef of The Daily Basics!
The Daily Basics is a community built of lifestyle bloggers in the fields of Home & Garden, Travel & Living, Food & Drink, Body & Fashion and Arts & Literature, and I am proud to be part of it!
From the Daily Basics ...
Catch up to Chef Robin's recent posts on The Daily Basics where she is Executive Chef:
Original recipes, wine pairings, local foods, cooking tips, fresh artisan meats, herbs, and gifts from the sea!