This is one of my favorite recipes ever. The problem is you can only enjoy 6 months if your lucky out of the year. The tomatoes have to be ripe and the peaches have to be perfect. And it is so nice that we now can get great cheeses from Italy so fresh all the time and in regular grocery stores. I was out at this new grocery store in our area the other day and found just what I wasn't looking for. Fresh heirlooms, though I was skeptical so early in the season. Nice local peaches and Mozzarella di Bufala. I went out to my garden and picked some fresh basil and hoped for the best. It was just amazing and everyone at the table was raving. Like I had anything to do other than grow the basil and arrange a plate. But I'll take it.
- 6 medium size really fresh heirloom tomatoes (or nice fresh local ones would be fine)
- 1 container (imported from Italy) Mozzarella di Bufala, its about a 6 oz ball
- 3 medium fresh, ripe peaches, halved, pitted and sliced in 6-8 wedges each
- 15 basil leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
- a really good, aged balsamic vinegar from Modena, Italy preferred
- a nice crunchy sea salt, I used salt from Sicily
- fresh cracked pepper
This is so easy to do and so delicious I will be your new best friend! Slice the tomatoes in 1/4 inch slices or wedge them, up to you. Arrange on a pretty plate and top all around with the peach wedges. Slice the mozzarella in 1/4 inch slices and lay also around the plate. Tear the basil with your hands and scatter over the salad. Dress with about 3 tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle with that love balsamic. S and P to taste and Serve away. So easy yet the flavors are amazing and delicate and then you get a bunch from the basil.
That's it. I'm going to make one right now.