- 1 pound sliced Applewood Smoked Bacon or your favorite
smoked bacon cherry smoked is nice to, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, diced medium dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1/2 c brewed espresso
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup Bliss pure maple syrup aged in bourbon barrels
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp fresh minced ginger
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until it starts to brown, 10-12 minutes. With a slotted spoon so the fat drains off, transfer bacon to a paper towel and let sit until later. Remove off all but 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
Turn the heat down to medium. Add onions and cook until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes, add garlic cook 1 minutes longer stirring frequently. Add bacon back to the skillet and add espresso, vinegar, orange concentrate, syrup, brown sugar, ginger and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes. Transfer mixture to a food processor and pulse briefly until finely chopped. You do want some texture. Return mixture to pan and cook over low heat to thicken, stirring occasionally.
If the mixture gets to thick you can add 2 Tbsp of water and remove from heat and let cool slightly. Refrigerated in an airtight container, bacon jam will keep for 3-4 weeks. It's a nice addition to many things. Great on a BLT !!!